On March 19th 2014, Public Protector Thuli Madonsela issued a report titled “Secure in Comfort” on South Africa’s current President Jacob Zuma. Daily Sun which is a public newspaper covered the story on the 20th of March 2014 with a picture of President Zuma and a caption stating “Zuma Must Pay”. Madonsela found that funds were relocated from the inner city regeneration and dolomite risk management programmes. These where some of the findings and reported issues:
“The report investigates allegations regarding the conduct of the president relating to security and other measures of Nkandla. Expenditure on President Zuma’s homestead far exceeds the expenses of the past four presidents combined. Madonsela said the president knew what was happening at the property in KZN and benefited from the enormous capital investment.” (Daily Sun).
- R20 101 was spent on former president Pik Botha’s house.
- R47 196 was spent on former president FW de Klerk.
- About R32 million was spend on former president Nelson Mandela’s two houses.
- R12 483 938 was spent on former president Thato Mbeki’s private residence.
- An estimated R246 million would be the total expenditure of President Zuma’s homestead in Nkandla.
This is rather disturbing news for South Africans, especially with elections coming up. Will this issue be resolved in time? Will the money used go back to be used for public gain?