When you are wide awake at 2am and can’t sleep, what do you do?
I google. So here are 7 things you may not know about the technology scene in Africa;
- 400 students from West Africa are competing in building robots for NASA.
- The starup scene is highly active, with innovative products like Brainshare, an academic application that is taking education and learning resources in Uganda.
- Africa has very well developed mobile money systems in place such as M-Pesa in Kenya.
- Fact: The continent has over 45 tech hubs, that’s almost one in every country.
- Mark Shuttleworth and Elon Musk were born in South Africa. Don’t know who they are? That’s right, Google.
- The BRCK. Are you on a camel somewhere in the desert, wishing you could take a selfie and post it on instagram? #instadesert #instanature #instaoutdoors Then this handy little device is for you. Invented in Kenya, it is a mobile router that works as a backup generator for the internet.
- The mobile penetration rate in Ghana is more than 100% yep, only in Africa.
Okay, now I am getting sleepy. Techie Diaries out.